Graphic Novel Suggestions

Forums The Reading Challenges! Graphic Novel Suggestions

• Author

Hey everyone!

As I am quite busy this year (and I have a few graphic novels I’d like to catch up on) I’ve decided to try and complete all the challenges JUST using graphic novels / comics.

I have a few books on my shelf that will fit the purple cover challenge and one that will work for the non-human character challenge but I am struggling to find any good graphic novels for author debut & the book to movie adaptaion. Any suggestions would be great!

Also if anyone else is planning on reading a lot of graphic novels for the Reading rush I’d love to see what you’re planning for your TBR 😀

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi is a great graphic novel memoir and it was the author’s debut novel. I think it was also made into an animated movie, so it covers both challenges 😉

That’s a good one, thanks for the suggestion!

I agree with Maja, Persepolis is a great graphic novel and it can check off for multiple challenges. I know you have one for the purple cover but Chicken with Plums by Marjane Satrapi would fit that challenge and it was also made into a movie. Also, for movie adaptions there is Blue is the Warmest Color (the film is in French) and Scott Pilgrim.

The Park Bench by Chaboute is a good one… It may seem mundane, but I find it to be a very mindful and heartfelt graphic novel. Not only that, but it’s also a SILENT graphic novel; no words or dialogue! 😛 x

“Everyone’s A Alien When Ur A Alien Too” by Jomny Sun; a graphic novel about an alien that comes to Earth. It is a debut novel by this author, it is a non human main character, and the title has 5 or more words.

Thank you! This is the exact suggestion I needed. Debut author’s book was the only challenge left unchecked. 🙂

I chose this book for two of the prompts, but technically can use it for all the ones you mentioned and I’m so tempted to do that since it’d make my life easier but… I’m going to try not to 🙂 Haha I’m excited to read it though. It’s SO cute!

I definitely want to check this one out!

I already have Giant Days & Check, Please on my tbr! But, I also recommend the I Hate Fairyland comice series (finished, 4 volumes), Fence comic series (unfinished, 2 vols so far), Amulet graphic novel series (unfinished, 8 vols so far), The Complete Chi’s Sweet Home series (finished, 12 volumes).

I just wanted to suggest the Amulet series. The artwork in these books is stunning. It’s the best art I’ve seen in a graphic novel to date. The storyline is also pretty fun and I really enjoy the series.

I just googled it, and apparently, it will be adapted into a live action movie in 2020, but the challenge might just count adaptations that are already out. Either way, it’s a really good series.

Awww I didnt know they were going to make Amulet a movie. That’s awesome! 🙂

If you have read the Lunar Chronicles maybe you could read Wires and Nerve which are two spin offs as a graphic novels.

If you like DC comics, I definitely recommend the Batman graphic novel The Killing Joke by Alan Moore, they made a movie adaptation in 2016 with Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill. Great cast but not the most faithful retelling and I had some issues with it but still a good movie to hate watch. Edit: Also there is purple on the cover, since that is the Joker’s go to color lmao.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Linda.

Kay

laura dean keeps breaking up with me, blackbird (that one’s a comic, but there’s a compilation of all the issues), and smile by raina teglemeier

I will suggest the Lumberjanes series by Noelle Stevenson.

Heartstopper by Alice Oseman, an adorable story about two boys falling in love. It is a Webcomic and recently Volume 1 was published and Volume 2 will be out in time before the reading rush starts.

What is a webcomic?

A comic that is posted online! Heartstopper is posted by the author and artist online for people to read but then it also later got published. Same with Check, Please for example.

Where can you find webcomics? Oh, and Heartstopper is one of my favorites, it is also very quick it only took me 30 minutes!

I adore graphic novels and read quite a few of them! Hoping to get some new ones for the reading rush and my tbr!

Some of the ones I’ve read and recommend are:

Bloom
    Heartstopper
    Giant Days
    Lumberjanes
    Saga
    Fence
    The Prince and the dressmaker
    This one summer
    Aquicorn Cove
    The Tea Dragon Society
    Fake Blood
    Sheets
    Nimona
    Batman Hush (one of my favourite Batman comics)

I’m hoping to pick up the Teen Titans:Raven graphic novel as I love the artist and it sounds great. And I’m hoping to read Laura Dean keeps breaking up with me too.

I’m reading Watchmen for the book to movie adaption

Couldn’t agree more about Watchmen. It’s great!

Nimona is a great graphic novel! For book-to-movie, a lot of Marvel comics can work if you’re a fan of the MCU.

I really wanted to read the amazing spiderman into the spiderverse and watch the spiderverse movie. Not sure if they are the same though, I think it’s more based off Myles Morales story (?)

It’s not the exact same story but the movie did take inspiration from the comic so imo it would count. They are both very good!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.