Audiobook recommendations?

Forums General Audiobook recommendations?

• Author

Hello! I do a lot of my reading with audiobooks (gives me reason to do it along with other things aka knitting etc), but atm I don’t have any books lined up. Anyone got any audiobooks they highly recommend?

Hi! The golden compass/northern lights (depends where you’re from) is a great audiobook, and it has purple on the cover! It’s one of my favourite books and I would deffinetly recommend it!

I’ve been meaning to read that book for a while, so I’ll have a nosey and see if I like the narrator, thank you! 🙂

Ditto this! It’s a full cast recording and technically there’s a movie adaptation (though that’s not excellent lol).

In case people already didn’t recommend these specific audiobooks, or if they did and it is important I reiterate them, here are some of my favorite audiobooks:

Illuminae by Amie Kauffman and Jay Kristoff

Nevernight by Jay Kristoff

Sleep Giants by Sylvian Neuvel

The Diviners by Libba Bray

Broken Things by Lauren Oliver

The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn is a 5 word title and a debut novel. It’s an adult thriller about an agoraphobe who thinks she sees something go wrong, very similar to Alfred Hitchcock’s Rear Window.
    They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera is a 5+ word title and the cover is bluey/purple. It’s a YA coming of age story about a slightly alternative present where everyone knows what day they will die.
    Both of these were extremely engrossing! The latter is shorter, but you could get through either in a week’s time.

Ooooo these sound amazing. I have a physical copy of they both die at the end and had planned to pick it up maybe but I’ll definitely check them out!

Sadie by Courtney Summers was AMAZING as an audiobook (and was published last year)! 🙂

Animal Farm by George Orwell… Read by Timothy West. It’s on YouTube. He has such a great voice for the story imo!

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Jessica.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Brooke.

The Lunar Chronicles and Harry Potter series

Cue

All of This is True is a FANTASTIC audiobook, and would work for the 5 words+ challenge!!

Caz

I second the Sadie recommendation!

Also: Sleeping Giants, Illuminae, Binti, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, The Upside of Unrequited, The Girl with All the Gifts, The Book of M, Strange the Dreamer 🙂

I made a video last year with audiobook series recs.

A stand alone that I love as an audiobook is All Our Wrong Todays by Elan Mastai, read by the author.

I went and watched your video! Thanks for the recs! I’ll be sure to get into some of those after the Reading Rush.

I can totally recommend the audiobook Daisy Jones & The Six. Not only are the characters super realistic, but the story is also great. The audiobook is read by a full cast which makes the audiobook even better. Sometimes I actually had the feeling that the band is real and I really wanted to listen to their music even if that’s obviously not possible because the band doesn’t exist.

I can totally second that! I love the audiobook for Daisy Jones & The Six.

I have heard SO MANY good things about this audiobook! I’ll be adding it to my TBR:)

I completely agree! I’m listening to Daisy Jones right now and it’s fantastic.

I’ve heard tons of good things about Daisy Jones & the Six as an audio book as well as Sadie and also Miracle Creek by Angie Kim

Sadie is amazing, full cast, and even made up a beginning music for the podcast. Trigger warnings though, look up what its about before you pick it up.

The Illuminae Files by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman have a full cast reading their audiobooks! They are very well done and fun to listen to!

I second Becca’s recommendation! I just started the audiobook for Obsidio, the last in the Illuminae Files trilogy, and the whole cast is fantastic. I’m always listening to pods/books at work so here are some other recs, trying to give a range of genres:
      Everything is Horrible and Wonderful: A Tragicomic Memoir of Genius, Heroin, Love and Loss by Stephanie Wittels Wachs
      A Very Large Expanse of Sea by Tahereh Mafi
      What If It’s Us by Becky Albertalli
      An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
      -Richelle Mead’s YA (Glittering Court, Vampire Academy, Bloodlines)
      -Gail Carriger’s books (Parasol Protectorate, Custard Protocol, Finishing School)
      The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams (Martin Freeman and Stephen Fry!)
      Homecoming by Yaa Gyasi

I also enjoyed An Ember in the Ashes! I thought the narrator was good

Sadie! Definitely.

Mio

Among my favourite audio books are:
    – Beauty Queens by Libba Bray (great story and it has little jingles and “ads” in between that make it such a fun audio book experience)
    – My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, Jodi Meadows (the narrator took me some getting used to but in the end I loved listening to her)
    – The Martian by Andy Weir
    – The Sudden Appearance of Hope by Claire North

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.